We have some days still available at Bastiaanskloof for the Winter holidays season and have updated our rates to give locals some great value for money – have a look at our website for rates and to book.
Fireplaces with plenty of supplied wood, heaters, underfloor heating (India house), hot water bottles and lovely blankets to curl up under and long hot baths with Charlotte Rhys foam bath and soaps.
Winter is a magical time at the farm and for me, my favourite time to visit. There are plenty of activities for adults and children both on and off the farm and is a true escape to splendid isolation with over 3000 hectares of mountains and rivers to explore all to yourselves
These are the some of my favourite things to do in Winter at the farm :
- Hike (or run) – we have two, 2 hour trails on the farm (or combine to make it a 4 hour hike) and there are also amazing hikes in the neighbouring Limietberg Nature Reserve. The waterfalls are in full force, the fynbos is beautifully green and it is cool enough to hike at any time of the day!
- Mountain Biking – bring your bikes to explore the farm or for those wanting more of a challenge, there are a number of trails on neighbouring farms and a route through to Tulbagh that was a leg of the Cape Epic in 2016 thought the pine forests – all rideable from Bastiaanskloof and we can provide all the details.
- Horse riding – we can arrange horseriding for you either in Tulbagh or at Diemersfontein wine farm in Wellington (with a wine tasting afterwards!)
- Make a booking at Bosjes Kombuis – 10 minutes drive from us, it has featured in all the latest magazines and the menu has been overseen by Masterchef judge Peter Goffe-Wood. The restaurant has fantastic views and murals by local artist Michael Chandler. You can also pop in for afternoon tea and cake in their tea garden. Bosjes is open Wednesday to Sunday for lunch only and it is recommended that you book beforehand.
- Wine tasting – there are a number of farms right on our doorstep – we can suggest our favourites for you to visit and can also arrange tailor made tours with a driver.
- Gin, Vodka, Whiskey and Brandy tasting – Jorgensen’s gin and vodka distillery in Wellington is a highlight as is a whiskey and food pairing at the Distell distellery in Wellington (Fridays and Saturdays only) – they produce Bains Mountain Whiskey which has won numerous awards . Brandy tasting and lunch at Oude Wellington before heading up the Bainskloof Pass to the farm is also highly recommended. Again we can arrange a tailer made tour with a driver on request
- For kids and adults alike, Aquila Safari Camp which has the Big 5, is a 40 minute drive from us and day passes can be arranged
- Ceres Zip lining – great fun for adults and kids – 1,4km of pure adrenalin Eco Adventure, consisting of 8 slides varying from 100-290m in length. This Eco-Adventure is safe, fast and long. The tour takes place in the Schurweberg Mountains below the Koekedouw Dam in Ceres. Experience the true beauty of the Western Capes fynbos and rugged sandstone mountains.
- Visiting the snow in the Matroosberg Nature Reserve, Ceres – a must in winter especially loved by those who have never see the snow before – a 40 minute drive from us!!!!
- Visiting the neighbouring towns of Tulbagh, Ceres or Wellington
- We have put together some amazing treatments and massages with Mobile Wellness to have at the farm, so do enquire for our price list!
- My personal favourite, doing absolutely nothing at the farm, late lie ins, breakfast in bed, books, DVD’s, Watching Wimbledon in July, slow walks and cooking up a storm in our fabulous kitchens!
- Our private chef is also available full time or for a special dinner – just enquire and we can tailor make it for you!
Our staff are also waiting to welcome you and to make your stay as pleasant and relaxing as possible!
We hope to welcome you to Bastiaanskloof this Winter!